Neophile: I Am KlootMay 10, 2008
[embedded YouTube video; if you can’t see it, click here]
How to listen to the new I Am Kloot album, I Am Kloot Play Moolah Rouge:
- Wait for a rainy afternoon, so the sky is grey and the drops are pattering against your windows.
- Pour yourself a glass of whisky.
- Put the CD (or your iPod, or the vinyl, or whatever) on your stereo. Ideally, listen to it on a pair of headphones (not white earbuds; proper headphones that look like earmuffs from the Gernsback continuum).
- Lie on the floor of your living room.
- Let John Bramwell’s voice wash over you.
Failing that, just listen to I Am Kloot any way you can.
More inducement: From The Independent’s review of I Am Kloot’s April concert in London: “I Am Kloot, formed 10 years ago, offer a little more grit than [The Decemberists], and in their endearing frontman and presiding spirit Johnny Bramwell they boast a songwriter of seemingly effortless grace.”
Above, the video for “Proof” (starring the inimitable Christopher Eccleston).